Resume Quick Tips
Our Resume Quick Tips will help you write your resume to get the best job. We also have many suggestions and interview tips to help you get the position you want. In any economy, you can use all the help you can get. With jobs being scarce and the best jobs being even fewer and farther between, a well-written resume and cover letter can make you stand out above the other applicants.
Apply These Quick Tips to Your ResumeResumizer provides a suite of resume creation tools to help you travel the path to a great career. We enable you to write your resume, cover letter, reference page, networking business cards, and interview thank you letter all for free. You don't even have to join Resumizer to build these documents. If you do decide to participate, you will be able to use our Free Resume Management Center. You are also welcome to browse our Job Search Help Center, which is also free, with none of the information held back. All these resources are available for you to use anytime to gain employment. Please read our helpful articles and visit our tutorial pages along with our online resume management tools.
Career Help Center
Composing Your Resume
Help and Tips to Get the Best JobHow an Employer Thinks
- You are primarily marketing your skills as a product to an employer. It would be helpful for you to think of it this way because that is how it is.
- Everything you do and say will be assessed and compared against the other applicants. That is how the employer will “thin the herd” of applicants to find the most competent, cost-effective person to hire.
- It is simply a matter of buying the best talent at the lowest cost, the talent being the services you provide. We all do the same thing when we shop, which is what the employer is doing, except they are searching to hire a person who can fulfill the company's needs. They perform the function of fulfilling the need to hire someone like you.
Composing Your Resume
- Don't use contractions like “don't,” instead use “do not.”
- Nothing shows a person's lack of education like poor sentence structure. Of course, well-written sentences that use proper grammar are always mandatory.
- Make your accomplishments sound more important and impressive by using action verbs instead of mundane words.
- Organize your information by formatting your resume properly our creator does this for you automatically.
- Use high-quality paper on which to print using contrasting colors with easy to read fonts.
- When submitting an electronic resume to an employer's online application system, you will select options that are different from those used to print a paper copy. Using a style that has a clean layout with clearly defined sections and plenty of white space makes the document easy to read for both paper and electronic copies.
- It is more professional looking to use a matching resume, cover letter, and reference page that all use the same style, fonts, and colors.
- Don't add your contacts for your references here, it is improper and it will add to the length of the page.
- Don't make the page too long. Make it long enough to say what you need to say, but short enough that the reader doesn't get bored before they reach the end.
- Be sure to dress in appropriate, professional looking attire.
- When speaking to the interviewer and answering their questions, speak clearly and with confidence. Even if you don't feel confident in yourself, never convey that to the interviewer. Look the interviewer in the eyes with confidence. Don't display nervous body movements they tell of a lack of confidence.
- When answering the questions, try not to have long pauses, but do think about what you will say before you say it. A person well versed in their field would have an easy time with the answers.
- Also, try to tailor your responses to apply to the position for which you are being interviewed.
- Use terminology from your work environment properly. Understand what the words mean and how to use them correctly. Your usage of your words will reinforce the impression that you are well educated.
- Always send a thank you letter to the interviewer within 24 hours of the interview to show respect and display proper etiquette.
- If you find yourself at a party or social function, and the situation arises, you can hand out networking business cards to increase your exposure to employers.
- Post your resume online to give yourself another avenue for marketing your skills.
- We hope that these interview tips will be of some help to you.
- There are plenty of other resources here at Resumizer that should be able to answer most of the questions you will have. They aren't only in article form we have videos and tutorials talking about career advancement too, which also applies to this topic. While you are searching for hot jobs, you can also learn more about us if you have that interest.